Friday, November 13, 2009

Great PR tactic

So there's a fairly big story down here about this municipal judge who was just sentenced to 18 months' probation. Why, you ask? Because this guy - A JUDGE, I REMIND YOU - "was found guilty in August of declaring himself as a resident of Sunland Park in March 2008, a requirement for candidacy for the judgeship and - after winning the race - falsifying a document that acknowledged he was a qualified voter. He also was found guilty of voting twice in the November 2004 general election, once in Texas and once in New Mexico. Each count was a fourth-degree felony."

So naturally, the guy getting 18 months' probation is lame. He is also required "to take introductory government classes under Bill Taggart and Nancy Baker at New Mexico State University and deliver a speech to the schoolchildren of the Gadsden Independent School District on 'civic engagement, getting involved and why the rules exist.'" Even lamer.

But here's the best part, in my opinion:

"Arrieta (the guy's defense attorney) also said that Favela (the judge) was targeted by the district attorney's office for prosecution because he was a member of the 'wrong' political party."

Really? So if he was in the "right" political party lying about his residence and voting twice in two different states would've been okay?

And...

"Favela told the judge he was not a bad or dishonest person.

'I want to apologize if, with my desire to run, if I put anybody through hardship,' Favela told the judge. 'I'm an honest man, I've always tried to do the best for the community and if I unknowingly broke the law, I take full responsibility.'"

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

IF I UNKNOWINGLY BROKE THE LAW?!?!?!? LOL some more. YOU'RE A JUDGE, DUDE! YOU DETERMINE IF OTHER PEOPLE BROKE LAWS OR NOT AND THEN PASS SENTENCE ON THEM IF THEY'RE FOUND GUILTY! HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW LYING ABOUT WHERE YOU LIVE AND CASTING TWO VOTES IN TWO DIFFERENT STATES IN A FEDERAL ELECTION IS NOT LEGAL?

Brilliant PR move. Of course, a good segment of our society o'retards will eat it up. If I were him, I think I would've said:

sein-george-wrong.wav. LOL

No comments: